We’re looking for fun, enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about youth development and STEM education. Boys & Girls Club AmeriCorps members help youth achieve academic success and remain positively engaged, while building strong partnerships between Clubs, schools, and community partners.
During their term, Members spend about 80% of their time in direct service and 20% of their time receiving professional development and training through the program. We believe in investing in our AmeriCorps members so they are better able to invest in their Clubs and community.
STEM Connect provides three different opportunities to serve:
Full-Time (11 month term), Half-Time (6 month term), and Summer-only (3 month term)
TO APPLY OR FOR MORE DETAILS CHECK OUT OUR RECRUITMENT WEBSITE
All our members gain the following benefits in addition to those listed under specific positions:
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SERIES
STEM Connect AmeriCorps members develop résumé-enhancing skills by participating in our Professional Development trainings. Past trainings include: Volunteer Recruitment & Management, Growth Mindset, Restorative Justice, Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), and more.
HIGHER EDUCATION SUPPORT
Members’ receive student loan forbearance during their term of service. Upon successful completion of a term of service they also receive an education award of between $1500-$5800, depending on length of term.
MENTOR RECRUITMENT & MANAGEMENT
Members gain valuable networking and management skills via recruitment and oversight of mentors from within the Club community to regularly support youth academic success.
Members can also pursue their own professional interests by taking classes, attending conferences, volunteering in the community and even preparing for higher education or future jobs.
It is important to us that the AmeriCorps experience is positive for both our members and service sites. Local clubs work in conjunction with the Program Director & Coordinator to ensure each member selected is the best fit for their location and community. Here’s how to apply:
STEP 1 – Apply to STEM Connect
Complete a program application in one of two ways:
- Online via our Service Opportunities pages. You will be required to create a myAmeriCorps account if you do not already have one.
- Download this pdf and return it…
- via email
- Mail to: STEM Connect AmeriCorps, c/o Katie Tanner, 8203 SE 7th Ave Suite 100 Portland, OR 97202
- Or drop off directly at your local service site
The AmeriCorps application is lengthy and takes time to complete. We recommend you get started as soon as possible.
STEP 2 – Interview With Us
- Once your application has been received, potential members begin interviews with the Program Director and/or Host Site Supervisors
- You may be asked to interview for multiple service sites—we strive to ensure placement is a good fit for everyone
STEP 3 – Placement and Pre-Service Packets
- Preliminary offer packets** and placement notifications are sent
- Applicants must return all pre-service materials within 10 days
**Our positions are considered covered positions with access to vulnerable populations and all members must complete a 3 part criminal history check including a nationwide NSOPW search, an FBI fingerprint check, and a state of residence and state of service check. Offers are contingent upon successfully completing this process.
- Positions are open until filled – If you have a question about our positions or a specific location, email the program or contact the site supervisor directly.
- It can take up to a month for the full application process to be completed